Oh, I have a fun treat for you today! The wonderfully creative Barbara is with us and she has a fun thrifty project to share! I know you are going to enjoy this so, I hope you will leave a comment after you are finished reading and also check out Barbara's blog 21 Rosemary Lane! You will not regret it!
All yours Barbara!
Hi everyone...my name is Barbara and I'm over visiting from 21 Rosemary Lane. First off I must tell all of you lovelies out there how thrilled I am to be here in this sweet corner of "Bloggyland" known as The Thrifty Groove. Diann has been incredibly gracious in letting me do a guest post while she is away, so today I am going to share with you my thrifty idea for updating an outdated serving tray.
I've had this tray for several years now and although I still get plenty of use from it, the style of the tray no longer reflects the tone of the decor in my home or back patio where I plan to use it.
I thought the best way to transform this tray would be to paint it with my homemade chalk paint first and then change up the surface of the tray. I grabbed some paint I already had, and using a simple chalk paint recipe, I mixed up a light turquoise paint and brushed it right over the black sides and bottom of the tray. The best thing about chalk paint is that there is no prep work involved...all you need to do is to just start painting! (Click here for the recipe.) After the paint was completely dry, I distressed it with 100 grit sand paper.
Then I dipped into my wine cork collection which was beginning to overflow a wee bit, and using 44 corks of varying sizes, I cut them in half length-wise. I chose to use wine corks not only because I happen to have an abundance of them, but the corks themselves are functional as well as stylish. They are absorbent so they can sop up any of the condensation which tends to form on glasses and pitchers containing cold beverages during the warm summer months. In addition they also provide a non-slip surface for these items as well.
I arranged the cork halves end to end and when I finally came up with the configuration that worked best, I simply glued them with my trusty glue gun right onto the existing tile.
I also added some jute twine for a little more detail in addition to hiding a few spots where there was an occasional gap between the corks.
I hope this post has provided for you an idea or two of how to update a serving tray or anything else you have using simple wine corks, some chalk paint and a hot glue gun!
Again, I want to give another big shout out to Diann for allowing me to hang for the day with all of you here at her lovely blog...
The Thrifty Groove.
Have a super day!